Thursday, January 6, 2011

With A Full Heart

When we landed in Port Au Prince on tuesday, we disembarked onto the tarmac (last time we went right inside, and it was rather disappointing). When i stepped out that door onto the steps, the breeze caught my hair and caressed my face while the bright sun wrapped its warm beams around me. I hadn't realized till then just how much i'd missed this!

later after we'd all (i flew from montreal with some volunteers and another staff member) collected our luggage, we pushed our way through the crowd of very helpful people who wanted to put their helpfulness to good use.....;-) i think i'd even missed that! then i was bumping along the back streets of port au Prince (we were trying to avoid rush hour traffic which is pretty brutal) heading up the mountain toward the place that holds my heart :-) i guess i'd even missed the bumpy roads. lol.
We made a quick stop at the toddler house to drop off luggage, and i slipped into the kitchen to say a quick hello to the kids who were eating dinner. They were pretty excited to see me, as i was them!

Upon arrival at the main house, i went upstairs to see the babies. i was in URG B holding one of the babies when my little guy came backing up in line with the door. when he saw me, he immediately changed course and made a beeline for me with a slightly startled look on his face, like 'oh my goodness, she came back!' :-) it made me SO happy! Now, whenever i go into the nursery and sit on one of the little short chairs, toddles on over and plants himself between my knees, quite content to stay there on a long-term basis ;-) that evening when my little lady saw me, she smiled big, as did my other little man. most of the kids seemed happy to see me, although one of them looked at me rather strangely....but he's over that now and happily comes to me when he sees me. My heart just swells with love for these babies!

These last couple days have been interesting, learning some of my new responsibilities as office assistant (we recently decided that that's my title. lol). Not only do i help out with some office tasks, but if there's a time when my assistance isn't needed, i have the privilege of going to hang out with babies and volunteers on the balcony! not a bad position at all, i must say! :-)

I'm excited about what the coming weeks/months hold! My prayer is that i will be used to be a blessing and encouragement  to everyone i work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment