Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When God Speaks

Sometimes God speaks through the beauty of His creation, like when you wake up in the middle of the night to watch the meteor shower, and see multiple 'stars' shoot through the sky and think of how huge the galaxy is. And how amazing it is that the constellations are so far away from Earth that the same formations can be seen in Canada as are seen in Haiti? 
Sometimes God speaks through children and babies - when they do or say something that once again reminds you how precious and amazing the very fact of life is. Or when a tiny, tiny baby lays all swaddled up and even if not full term, he or she has all his fingers and toes and a perfect little nose.

Sometimes God speaks directly to our hearts. Sometimes it comes as a surprise, and other times because we've been intentional about spending time with Him.

And other times He speaks through the Bible and the written word. That's what happened to me this morning. I was thinking to myself that today marks two weeks left in Haiti, and was boggled at the realization. As my friend and coworker opened our devotional book to spend our daily time with God, the date jumped out at me again. August 14th. But soon it wasn't so much the date that stood out to me as it was the content of the devotion. As i read it out loud after having heard it once, it really spoke to me. This is what it said:

"I am yours for all eternity. I am the Alpha and the Omega: the One who is and was and is to come. The world you inhabit is a place of constant changes--more than your mind can absorb without going into shock. Even the body you inhabit is changing relentlessly, in spite of modern science's attempts to prolong youth and life indefinitely. I, however, am the same yesterday and today and forever.

Because I never change, your relationship with Me provides a rock-solid foundation for your life. I will never leave your side. When you move on from this life to the next, My Presence beside you will shine brighter with each step. You have nothing to fear, because I am with you for all time and throughout eternity."

Revelation 1:8; Hebrews 13:8; Psalm 102:25-27; Psalm 48:14
(bolding mine)
From 'Jesus Calling' by Sarah Young

Source: http://sarahyoungdevotions.blogspot.com/2012/08/august-14.html

It was exactly what I needed today. It amazes me when stuff like this happens. The author had no idea that on this particular day, i would need to read those words, and she certainly didn't write them specifically for me - but it sure felt like it! God knew exactly what I needed to hear, and He used the work of this author. 

"You have nothing to fear, because I am with you for all time and throughout eternity...."

"And, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Matthew 28:20

No comments:

Post a Comment