Monday, March 28, 2011

raindrops, tree frogs, and the ponderings they initiate

Some of my favourite sounds happen at night during rainy season, when the rain patters gently (or ak foc) on the foliage and the tree frogs chirp cheerfully. it creates such an atmosphere of calm! they are sounds to fall asleep to.

If things had gone according to the tentative plan, tonight would be my last night in Haiti. i'd probably be packing right now, and tomorrow i would be saying goodbyes and heading to the airport to hop on the plane and come home to the mud and brown that typically usher in Ontario springs. i have always loved spring (minus the mud and brown), and i guess one of the things that i miss when i'm in Haiti is watching the seasons change. the snow of winter to the fresh green of spring; the fresh green of spring to the heat and long nights of summer; the heat and long nights of summer to the colours of fall leaves and the crisp, cool air; and the crispness of fall to the first snowfall, snow boots, jackets, hats and scarves....

but back my point about the tentative plan. Today was NOT my last day in Haiti! I am now going to be staying through the summer, with a visit home in June :-) i wouldn't trade being here in Haiti for the chance to see spring come this year. Yes, there are things that i miss about home - family birthdays, socializing with my friends there, spending time with my family, DRIVING.... but nothing compares to knowing that where i am is where God wants me to be! it helps that i love doing what God has asked me to do, i suppose! lol

Jim Elliot has a quote that i find encouraging and inspiring: 'Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.' That's what i'm going to try to do, for whatever length of time God has me here. and if i get called to something else - or somewhere else in another country, Heaven forbid! - then i will do my best to do the same there as well. Following God may not be easy, but it sure is an adventure! An adventure i don't want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment